Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Windows Vista

I've finally taken the plunge and decided to upgrade from WinXP Pro to Windows Vista. Yesterday, I went down to the university bookstore and grabbed a student copy in the Home Premium flavor.

I have built my own boxes since the early days of the Pentium. In fact, my first hand-built box was a 100mhz Pentium 1 with a whopping 32MB of ram and a (gasp) 1GB hard drive. Over this time, I've installed every OS one can think of from OS2 to DOS to every windows OS under the sun.

My migration to windows Vista was the easiest OS install I've ever done. My raid drives, Inet sharing server, dual video, motherboard devices, everything had the latest drivers automatically installed and worked! I'm impressed! The eye candy is kind of nice too, even though I will probably turn most of it off eventually to squeeze out a few more cpu cycles. I'm really digging the widget panel and love the desktop RSS feeds.

I'll keep you posted on more developments.

-- Dave

No comments: