Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Vista Post 1-Month

I've had the Vista operating system on my machine for the last month or so and have become familiar with the OS' quirks and workings. In my honest opinion, Vista is a downgrade in just about every sense of the word.

My system is a mid-level box with a dual core processor, 2GB of memory and runs on a dual 10K Raptor raid. XP was much faster than Vista is, even with all the graphical bells and whistles turned off and the system optimized for performance. The most irritating thing is my backup box that I just formated with a new XP install is noticeably "zippier" than my main Vista box. The backup system should be about 2/3 slower from a hardware perspective.

My biggest irritation is that the file handling in Vista is molasses slow. Opening a folder with fair number of subfolders takes seconds to resolve where XP handled it almost instantly. Transferring files is also much, much slower than XP, both locally and via network.

I did a clean install of Vista (and deleted the restore files), and I'm too lazy to reformat and upgrade from Vista to XP. Maybe I will take care of it in a month or so.

-- Dave

No comments: